Talk about a slow day. It threw everyone off not working tuesday. The kids were off, and all the adults thought it was already Thursday. But that aside this is the season for the good food, like apple cider and chicken. The weather was beautiful yesterday in the 60’s, and its currently 36 degrees. Nothing like a big drop. I secretly love it. I’m so glad its chilly out. It looks like snow, and I hope I wake up to a soft dusting of white. But for an easy easy dinner there is nothing like grabbing the crock pot. Plus days like today, motivate me to read, and write up some blogs for the Christmas season so hopefully I’ll have a printable or 4 by the end of the week to put up on here or my other site.
Now onto the chicken:
Of course you don’t have to use the hard cider, we had one bottle left over.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1 t paprika
- 2 t dry mustard
- one 12 oz bottle hard cider
- 12-16 slices of sourdough or your favorite bread, toasted
- About 8 oz. shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Place the onion and apple slices on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the apples and onions, and sprinkle on the salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard. Pour the hard cider over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, shred with two forks, and return to the slow cooker.
- Using tongs, toss together the chicken, apples, onions and cooking liquid until evenly distributed.
- Top one slice of bread with the shredded chicken mixture, sprinkle with shredded cheddar, and top with the other slice of bread.