Hello, and welcome to Soup Week. Get ready for a week of soups. I made this soup ( Adapted from : The Candid Appetite ) and it was surprising. I wasn’t a kale lover, and I still am not. But this soup was so much better than I expected. All the elements came together to make it really delicious.
- 1 pound chicken sausage ( spicy if you want) REMOVE the casing.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bag of kale. I did it the easy way, its already chopped.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 potatoes diced into chunks
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Heat a large heavy-duty pot over medium-high heat. Once the pot has heated through, add the sausage. Brown the sausage like you would ground beef. Remove the crisped sausage from the pot and transfer it to a bowl.
2. Lower the heat, add the butter or oil and throw in the onions and garlic. Stir, scraping down the bottom of the pot picking up the browned bits of sausage with the spoon, and cook about 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the chopped kale in batches, allowing it to wilt down as it cooks. Add the nutmeg and stir. Cook the kale for another 3 minutes until it has turned bright green and completely wilted down. Throw in the sliced potatoes and cooked sausage.
3. Pour in the chicken broth and bring it up to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer until the potatoes are cooked and soft. Once the potatoes are fully cooked, stir in the heavy cream. Serve. Enjoy!